Saturday, June 18, 2011

Bookworm Goddess: My Yearly Reads #41-50

41.  The Witch Queen's Secret - Anna Elliot (Completed 11/21/10) - This was a short story that was free for all Nook readers (Yes, I have my Nook now!  Best. Birthday. Present. Ever).  It continues the tale of Isolde and fits right between the first book and the second.  I really love the idea of Queen Isolde as the "witch queen."  We pride the stories of Avalon on having such an open mind of all things magic.  It is interesting to read a moment in King Arthur history where everyone was an ignorant, religionous fanatic just like everyone else.  I feel for Isolde because she joins the ranks of so many misunderstood women.  And it provides a good lesson to all:  Magic is here to stay, whether we like it or not.  My advice:  Like it.
42.  The Lost Hero:  Heroes of Olympus #1 - Rick Riordan (Completed 11/28/10) - Oh, Rick Riordan, whenever there is one of your books in my house I get nothing done.  This book kicks off the new series, right where Percy and his friends left off.  The characters are new, but I still get excited when I meet up with the old faces from the Olympians series. Once again, a fast-pacing, exciting read.  The only bad thing about this book is that I have to wait until September for the next volume.
43.  The Book of Love - Kathleen McGowan (Completed 12/17/10) - Again, a beautiful piece of writing and research.  I think this is my favorite of the Magdalene Line series.  In this volume, Maureen and the reader are introduced to the intelligent, powerful woman known as Matilda.  A kind and generous ruler over her people, a strong warrior, another famous redhead...and one hell of a chess player.  The Time Returns.
44.  Aesop's Fables (Completed 12/27/10) - I read this book as a kid and I have yet to stop reading it.  I learn something new every time.
45.  Garden Spells - Sarah Addison Allen (Completed 12/29/10) - I always saw this book in B&N and I always wanted to pick it up.  Thanks to my Nook, I finally did and I am happy to report that I will read anything this woman writes.  Part Practical Magic, part recipe book, and 100% Allen. 
46.  Click - Almond, Coifer, Doyle, Ellis, Hornby, Lanagan, Maguire, Ozeki, Park, Wynne-Jones (Completed 1/3/11) - This was a great idea.  A book written in turn by some of the best YA and fiction writers.  However, the story is a little weak, and I found myself praising the practice and not the plot.
47.  Gone - Lisa McMann (Completed 1/12/11) - After months of waiting for this to make its way to shelves, I happily settled down to read the last installment.  I can't really say too much because I don't want to spoil the story.  Read it for yourself.  It's worth it.
48.  Fragments:  Poems, Intimate Notes, Letters by Marilyn Monroe - ed. by Stanley Buchthal and Bernard Comment (Completed 1/13/11) - I love Marilyn Monroe.  But, of course, so does everyone else.  For those that really claim to love Marilyn, I offer you a challenge:  read this book and see what she was really like.  Read her thoughts, dreams, fears, and plans for the future.  You haven't seen her like this yet.
49.  A Short History of Women - Kate Walbert (Completed 1/24/11) - Needless to say, I cried when I reached the end of this book.  This novel chronicles the lives of one family of women throughout the most daring and frightening parts of the feminist movements.  Every character is flawed, yet strikingly beautiful.  This is the way female characters are supposed to be.
50.  Bizenghast, Volume 2 - M. Alice LeGrow (Completed 1/29/11) - What is going on in this book? I am so confused. Let's hope I get it in the next volume. Dinah, I'm rooting for you.

No comments: