Wednesday, December 29, 2010

Everyone hit the ground; I think I might have missed my calling - Part 2

So, after my "show and tell" post, you are probably wondering what Kora & Penelope really is.  Or who I am.  The latter will have to wait; like I said, I'm not into the whole "this is my favorite color/listen to my brilliant thoughts/I am so special" chatter anymore.  I think my words and art will speak for themselves (if not, I'll have to dig up another Failboat picture). 

But I will explain Kora & PenelopeK&P is my foray into the Etsy world.  If you haven't heard of Etsy.com, PLEASE STOP WHAT YOU ARE DOING AND CHECK OUT THE SITE (er...but come back to reading this when you are finished).  It is a beautiful community of very talented crafters, and I am honored to be showcasing my work alongside them.  I have always wanted a small business to call my own, but I wanted to do so by creating something that will leave inspire others or bring happiness to those watching.  My brief career into filmmaking had been entered with those intentions, but I learned very quickly what happens when you trust the wrong people.  Thankfully, I managed to salvage what was left of my soul without allowing the misdeeds and other people's negativity completely take over the rest of my life.  This is my second attempt at controlling my destiny.

Now, onto the name.  The name of the story - Kora & Penelope - is a collection of thoughts and ideas I've gathered over my experiences.  If I am going to begin a project I strongly believe in, then I need a name to reflect that, right?  For starters, "Kore" is the Greek word for "young girl," and "Kora" is a name often associated with the spring goddess Persephone.  **If you are unfamiliar with Persephone's myth, then check out my next blog post**  The story of Persephone is one of tragic proportions, but (like all stories) there is a lesson to be learned.  It is a lesson of changing the hand that is dealt to you.  It is a lesson of learning that you are capable of overcoming anything - even when it seems hopeless.  Many people call out to Persephone to help them move away from a tragedy, or to make a change.  This is my call to Persephone.

The name "Penelope" comes from Homer's The Odyssey.  She is the wife of Odysseus, and is often portrayed in Greek mythology as the obedient and good wife.  She waits  patiently for her husband while he fights the Trojan War for ten years, and then refuses to remarry another man after Odysseus is missing for another ten.  Penelope is often overlooked in this story, so I encourage you to read Margaret Atwood's The Penelopiad.  In this retelling, Atwood shows us who Penelope really is:  a brilliant, clever woman who does what is best for her family and her kingdom.  She takes care of the kingdom while her husband is away for twenty years, and she also has to make terrible decisions.  Penelope is a survivor.  The story of Penelope often reminds me of my mother.  She is a hard worker, and she often has to make sacrifices in order to do what is best for her family.  Unlike Atwood's retelling of Penelope, not many people sing the praises of my mother.  Using Penelope in the shop's title is my song of praise to my mother.

As for you, dear readers, what can you expect from this blog?  Everything!  Craft notices, K&P updates, stories, quick hello's from me, books I'm reading - whatever I discover over my life's adventure, I promise I will share with you.  Now, I did say I'm an avid moviegoer in my profile, but if you want a taste of the movies I've seen, check out my second blog which is completely and hopelessly devoted to movies:  The Screen Goddess (the link is on the left of this page).  I know, I know - I went from no blogs to two!  My darling readers, I couldn't be happier.

Until next time!

No comments: