Saturday, March 26, 2011

Life Adventures: Fixer Upper, Picker Upper

The answer is "c," my dears.  In case you haven't figured it out.  And if you have, you succeed in this round and you may enter the next level where a genie will grant you three wishes (while wielding a self-help book) and a latte.  Sometimes it pays to be a little honest. 

By honesty, I mean:  ARE YOU KIDDING ME?  THERE IS NO WAY YOU CAN GRADE 30 PAPERS IN ONE DAY AND COOK DINNER AND WASH THE DISHES AND FINISH THAT SHORT STORY AND GO TO BED AT A DECENT HOUR!!!!

Yep...honesty really is the best policy.  What I'm learning as I head down this crazy little river called Life is I have to set realistic goals.  Once I do that, I can keep my promises, cross off items on my to-do list, AND go to bed at a decent hour.  If I can't do the decent hour thing, then at least I can feel good about two small victories.  I guess somewhere over the rainbow I started to think the more goals the merrier.  It's true on some level; just keep the short-term goals to a minimum.  The long-term goals - go crazy!  The next thing I'm learning:  GET IT DONE.  No procrastinating, no complaining, and no stalling.  If these are the reasons I didn't get my work done, then I have no one to blame but myself.  The third realization is something I learned from Weight Watchers:  it'll happen.  Even if it's a half pound a week.  It adds up in the end.  Just keep the faith.

I know K&P is going to be difficult, but I'm ready for this challenge.  I don't have the motivation to get a new job (I love my job, remember?) and I don't have any strong motivation to become a millionaire (mo money, mo problems, right?).  So my only motivation is to be as successful as possible.  Because it's mine, all mine.  And if I'm successful that can open so many doors.  I can start my charities, I can go back for my PhD., and I can have some kind of extra income (let's be honest, it's part of the perks).  But really just to have something to call my own and to be proud of running all by myself.  That's the real adventure. 

I read somewhere that everything you do - and experience - leads you up to that particular moment when you take a chance.  You've been prepared for it, so there isn't anything stopping you but yourself.  Who knows - I probably heard my roommate quote one of her self-help books.  It may be a cliche, but it's true. 

The short term goals - time management, getting to the next "to do" item.  The long term goals - make it happen, make it worthwhile and make it count.

See?  I'm catching on.  I almost hear those self-help books now.  They breathe a sigh of relief:  Finally!

I'm ready. 

No comments: